Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Business Reflection #5 - Brianna

Young Toronto Entrepreneur Makes Forbes' 30 Under 30 List
Article taken from Times & Transcript February 3, 2014

The article that I read was about Derrick Fung, who created the business Tunezy. He is 26 years old, and quit his banking job to pursue his dream. Derrick made his spot on the Forbes' 30 under 30 list along big music names like Drake and Lady Gaga. Fung created Tunezy which he describes as a unique music experience, including backstage passes to concerts and meet and greets with a customers favourite artist. Derrick noticed that artists were not making as much money on selling their actual music, so he created a place where artists could offer unique experiences to promote themselves. 

Derrick was a graduate of University of Toronto in 2009 with a bachelor's degree in business administration. This story is a great example that any of us in this class could create a big business if we put our minds to it. Two years after creating Tunezy. it was  bought from American electronic dance promoter SFX for a seven figure amount. This story really inspires me that our youth in Canada can reach great heights, especially if they have a passion for what they are doing. 

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing of the success stories of young Canadians, especially the one's with the business administration connection. I really hope to dig down and find a way to apply our gained knowledge here at college, and achieve some form of success. Great reflection, and hopefully this is an inspiration to some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy hearing about people becoming successful with their creative minds. It seems so hard to make your dreams come true if they are not common. Unique ideas come only so often so I am happy to see a Canadian business student become successful off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This certainly is very inspiring! I always look at big businesses and successful people and think, "I could never do that!" However, the fact that his man is so young and has a business administration course really makes me think that maybe I just could become successful like that! Dream big right? I am already finding myself applying the knowledge from this course in everyday affairs and I can participate in conversations with my parents to a greater degree. I absolutely love this course, and I believe any one of us would be able to become as successful as this young man!

    ReplyDelete