Monday, March 10, 2014

Business Reflection # 6 - Brianna

Ice Cream Brand, Tims to End Partnership
Article taken from Times & Transcript February 21, 2014

Tim Hortons announced that Cold Stone Creamery will no longer be in their chain of stores. I have never tried Cold Stone, but I always wished that I would be able to. Knowing that Tim Hortons will no longer be associated with Cold Stone means the closest store to Miramichi (located in Bathurst) will be closed, and decrease my chances of trying the ice cream. Tims announced the choice to remove Cold Stone Creamery was purely a financial decision. Income was down by several million compared to previous years, so Tim Hortons decided to focus their attention fully on their main store. American Tim Hortons will not be affected by the removal of Cold Stone Creamery because it is an American ice cream chain. In my opinion, it makes me sad to have Cold Stone removed but Tims should focus on their own business. Tim Hortons knows how to please their customers, and I believe they can raise sales in the next year by removing the ice cream stores. 

7 comments:

  1. Great article Brianna! I never tasted Cold Stone Creamery even if I'm often in Bathurst. Since I'm going there on Friday I think I will go taste it before it closes. Thanks for the heads up! I know it is kind of sad that it will be closing but I agree with you when you say that Tim Horton's should focus on their main business because it is doing so good already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this is in the best interest of Tim's as a company, however I am still devastated by this news! I tried Cold Stone ice cream just this past summer for the first time and it was heavenly! I'm not going to lie, I have made a special trip up to Bathurst for the sole purpose of having ice cream...I am not ashamed!

    I feel as though Tim Hortons should have put the creamery in the same way they do Wendy's; the franchises are their own separate identity only in the same building! Perhaps this would have ended in a better way for Tim's, however, it is too late now. I would advise everyone to go have some of their ice cream before it closes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unfortunate that so many of us have never tried Cold Stone ice cream, but sometimes businesses have to make tough financial decisions. Cold Stone Creamery is not the only partnership that Tim Horton's has with another chain, they've been partnered with Wendy's for years and I'm curious if they will break that partnership as well. I guess time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Brianna stated, it is unfortunate that the business was no longer successful in Canada. Cold Stone is not all that its cracked up to be, frankly the prices are too high and the quality is only so so. What I as a customer have noticed was that service at Tim Horton's combo locations where much slower then a stand along Tim Horton's. Although it is sad to see people loose jobs due to this closure, I am happy that faster service will be available to all in the Tim's drive-through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why they felt the need to cut them off. As a Canadian I trust all Tim choices. Maybe they cut them off because so many of us had the opportunity to try the ice cream but chose not to. Good article Brianna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I have to agree with Christie and Tim Horton's that it would be of best interest to discontinue their partnership with Cold Stone ice cream. I never did get a chance to have Cold Stone, but heard only positive reviews. Good article choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In all honesty, I highly doubt Tim Hortons will lose any amount of business with this decision. I am disappointed, however, that I never really got to try their ice cream. What can you do now, though, right?

    ReplyDelete